The Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives / Global Anti-Incinerator Alliance (GAIA) would like to invite all members and allies to join our 9th Global Day of Action against Waste and Incineration, on December 1st, 2010.
This year´s Global Day of Action will focus on calling for the adoption of Zero Waste strategies that create sustainable jobs, protect the climate, communities health and livelihoods.
The upcoming UN Climate Change Conference in Cancun, Mexico (November 29 – December 10) and the 10th anniversary of GAIA’s establishment (November 28 – December 1) provide opportunities to spread out our cause, join efforts with other allies fighting false solutions to climate change, and celebrate the strength of the anti-incinerator and Zero Waste movement. “GAIA: Celebrating 10 years of community action for Zero Waste solutions" will be the slogan used to celebrate this year. As usual, participating groups will also have the flexibility to find and use a relevant hook to make their GDA activities responsive to local needs.
HOW TO JOIN?
To join, please register at: http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22BBE8AB4YD
Or email anne(at)no-burn.org and gigie(at)no-burn.org
Participating groups are provided with the flexibility to organize activities according to their campaign priorities. If December 1 does not work well with you, you definitely have the option of picking another day in November until the first week of December that will suit your local priorities and circumstances.
WHAT TO DO?
The extent of your participation and the amount of time you put into the GDA is totally up to you. Participating groups are provided with the flexibility to organize activities according to their campaign priorities. We will coordinate a global photo action that will present a good media hook and will reflect the diversity and extension of our movement. You can join this action and use it as part of your local activities. We will send the invitation to participate in this action in the coming weeks.
Here are some ideas on what you can do during the build up and observance of the GDA:
- issue press release or send letter to the editor
- have a 2010 GDA photo taken for the GAIA collage
- appear in TV/talk over the radio on waste concerns particularly on the connection between waste and climate change
- feature ZW management projects in communities
- organize activities with wastepickers groups and other recycler organizations to highlight green jobs
- dialogue with government departments in charge of waste management,
- climate and CDM issue
- talk to your country delegate/s to the United Nations Conference on Climate
- Change – COP 16 in Cancun, Mexico
- convene public meetings to raise awareness and promote concerted action
- arrange public debate on waste and climate issues
- organize non-violent direct action
- hold picket, rally and other protest assemblies
- stage creative communication activities like street theater or drama on waste and pollution
- submit petitions to ministries or funding institution
- launch a cyberaction/cyberalert
- organize a recycling/Zero Waste exhibition
- AND MORE!
We will be preparing posters and other campaign materials, if you need copies for your activity, please email anne (at) no-burn.org so we can send/ship them immediately.
All the best, GAIA Coordination Team